2010년 12월 25일 토요일

What should we do when we are confronted with other cultures?

   When I first arrived to China, I didn't like it.  The distinctive smell, and the surrounding environment came to me as a culture shock.  I would always say to myself, "How could I live in such a culture.  There is no one I can identify with."  I bet Don Richardson must have felt the same way when he entered the Sawi culture.  The readers know; however, in the end of the Peace Child, Don Richardson and his wife is able to confront their culture and challenge their faith.  When we are confronted with other cultures, we don't ask for it.  We are given the situation.  I certainly didn't ask my parents to move to China, but if someone asked me if my life there was regrettable, I would definitely have said no.

    My first year in China was difficult.  My parents always told me of how hard it was for me to adapt to the environment and culture of China.  I'd always had this mindset of Chinese people being dirty and smelly.  I may have even mistreated some of my Chinese neighbors because of this stereotype.  I regret such actions that I had.  Thus, through this experience, I learn an important lesson.  When we are confronted with other cultures, we must learn to respect them.  We may not necessarily concur with different cultures, but who are we to judge?  I should have respected the Chinese community that I lived in, but I was bitter and angry in my circumstances.  I didn't like the culture I lived in.  Thats just my opinion though, and even though I didn't ask to be in this state, I realized that I should have respected their culture.  When I did start to respect the culture, I started to slowly love the culture.     

댓글 1개:

  1. You are so right - who are we to judge? The video is applicable as it highlights the issues at hand. Excellent!

    답글삭제